Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 15 Little Rock and Memphis


It is Christmas Eve for my documentary travels. One more day of intended Southern inquiry. The most shocking thing of the day is how big Central High School is. I started my morning with a tour inside and outside the famous High School. The current racial breakdown of the school now is 52 percent black and 48 percent white. I was told that the only issue currently is that they are not encouraging as many black students to take AP courses, which I think is an issue across the country. The tour was interesting and the museum is very well done. I spoke with a good amount of people in the area, and in particular a man who lived across the street from the school for the last 50 years. He said that racial relations are a lot better, but then he also explained how there are neighborhoods where you just don't go if you are black or white.
Later part of the afternoon was spent taking a look back in time at the Bill Clinton Presidential Library. You know he balanced the budget and received a standing ovation at a UN meeting. I was moved by the video titled "a young boy from Hope" and wish we could somehow get that economy back.
You know you are tired when you fall asleep on the lawn in front of the presidential library in 98 degree weather.
Ended the day in Memphis in the Cooper-Young neighborhood. It is super artsy with live music everywhere, rainbow flags, and tattooed rockers. I was impressed with Memphis. Ended the evening with my traditional listening to live music and talking with the owner of a bar/restaurant, in which she notified me that racism is still a HUGE problem in Memphis... it's just reversed. The whites are being discriminated against, she said.

Tomorrow: Memphis and then back to kick it in Dallas for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Finally... I got to catch up on your amazing adventure. i can't help but be moved by the parallels of our experiences these past weeks. so excited to share pics and rehash! i am really proud of you.

    ReplyDelete