Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 6 Montgomery and Mobile


Spent the morning in downtown Montgomery with a few more people hanging around. They all looked well rested. I started with a tour of the Rosa Parks museum, which was fantastic. The children's portion of the museum had a huge mechanical bus that you rode through time. It was as if Disney World and the Montgomery Bus Boycott ran really hard into each other. I recommend it to anyone traveling through the town. I then went to the Civil Rights Institute, which is run by the Southern Poverty Law Center. It also has the Civil Rights Monument, which was designed by Maya Linn. The museum and monument are simple but powerful -- very hard hitting and well done. In the afternoon, I headed to an art exhibit on slavery on Alabama State's campus. It was my time to leave Montgomery and head south down I-65 to Mobile, Alabama. Arrived and am staying in a nice old Victorian home with the friendliest inn keepers. Ate dinner at Wintzells, a local seafood favorite. Walked around downtown and spent my night chatting with a tattooo artist and a local independent movie theater owner. Great day in which I reveled in history and never stopped sweating.

2 comments:

  1. HELLO LOU! WAS YESTERDAY A TRAVELING DAY TO N.O....MISSED READING MORE OF THIS ON-GOING PROJECT!
    LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT POST!
    L.Y. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M SURE YOU GUESSED THAT BUSTER IS MY PEN NAME

    ReplyDelete